Another epic day was had up the allotment yesterday. We had to be up the plot for 9am as a mate was dropping off our new greenhouse. So, we got up there for 9.15 – not bad!
Beener and our mate had already been down to dismantle the green-house – and were confident they could get the thing back together again.
Our mate has a big van, so the metal frame was taken as it was to the plot. Obviously that made life a whole lot easier.
The first task was to level the ground. So we looked at the ground and chucked the soil about for a few minutes until it looked alright. When we checked with a spirit level, we were shocked to see that we had levelled the ground correctly first time. I think we had both thought that it would have taken a lot longer. It seemed that our string of good luck was holding tight.
We dug a rectangular trench for the base to sink into.
We then firmed the soil around the base to secure it into the ground. We then excitedly lifted the frame onto the base and eight bolts secured it in place, you shoulda seen beener’s grinning face.
Rather than having a concrete floor, we decided to make use of the space by having beds in the greenhouse. Chatter about grape vines, kiwis, and melons made our digging out of the beds more frenzied and manic (in a nice way!). Finally we dug in copious amounts of well rotted manure and placed some more of our lovely ginger/sandy blonde chippings down as a path. Some of the wood that we had salvaged the week before made a lovely edge and neat finish to our path. We couldn’t believe our eyes!
We were ecstatic when we realised that the two tables that had come up with the green-house, left the perfect amount of space so that we can both sit and survey our estate. Suddenly we realised that we had a base, important to all cultures and tribes. The plot seemed more homely and we could picture long-lazy summer nights. Lovely. Then we realised that it was in fact, still the middle of winter and bloody freezing, so less standing about and more work. Some people we have spoken to have been surprised/worried that we are up the allotment in such cold weather – but we wrap up warm and as long as you keep moving/working you really don’t feel the cold.
The final job was to fit the glass panes into the frames. These were easily slotted in and secured with metal clips. The end result, you can judge:
It is fairly obvious and inevitable that the green-house will get smashed. Probably whilst being used as target practice by local air-rifle enthusiasts. We took one last, long, loving look at the green-house as we left the plot. Happy that we had a glass green-house for at least a few hours. Anyways we are on alert for perspex – we both feel confident that there is plenty lying about not being used… Or perhaps a protective defense compound for the greenhouse, involving stakes and netting…mmm