We wanted compost bins, big ones, but we didn’t want to pay for them. We managed to get our mits on twelve pallets. Handy having mates in the building trade. We dragged them to the top of the plot, sat down with a coffee and thought about it for a bit. There was the usual riviting conversations, what size do we want them, where do we want them. We decided we’d make them by nailing 3 together, leaving one side of the box open. Only problem was, our nails were too short. The day seemed ruined.
Our tool kit was a tesco carrier bag containing 1 rusty saw, 1 jar of nails, 1 bag of cable ties, 1 tape measure and no hammer anyway. Ut oh these compost bins have got to go up today, sod it lets try the cable ties.
We threaded 2 together after working out which way they all went and joined each pallet to the next with the ties. We were proper chuffed when the finished bins were stood up and as sturdy as if Tit-marsh had made ’em. Another excuse for a coffee, half hour stood with cup in hand praising ourselves and picturing ourselves winning best compost structure constructor. All we had to fill them was a whole load of brambles we had cut down. So the great manky fruit/mould veg search is on….